How do I open a new business in Hackensack?

  1.  First you must check with the city zoning officer to see if the location that you have selected for your business is properly zoned for the type of activity business that you want to locate there. The zoning officer can be reached at the Hackensack Department of Building, Housing and Land Use, 201 646-3919.
  2. If your proposed business requires construction or renovation activities, you must submit plans and apply to the Department of Building Housing and Land Use for construction permits.
  3. If your business is or contains any of the following: adult day care, barber shop, beauty parlor, child care facility, food establishment (retail, wholesale and pharmacy), hospital, kennel, nail salon, nursing home, pet shop, school, and or a spa or swimming pool that is open to the public or serves a multiple family dwelling, detailed plans and specifications, must be submitted to the Health Department for review and approval before construction can begin. Health Department inspectors can be reached at 201 646-3962.

For detailed plan review instructions concerning food establishments, click here.